Thursday, April 19, 2007

Suggestion Jukebox


In recent weeks my mind has become rather fixated on the birth experience. We have begun taking childbirth classes and my reading life consists almost exclusively of "birth literature." I am not, like many women seem to be, afraid of the birth itself. Labor doesn't scare me, probably because I have absolutely no experience with it. The logistical considerations, however, are keeping me up at night. Like what route to take to the hospital, how many pairs of underwear should I pack in my suitcase, how will we work the phone tree, etc... I know that these are the things I am preoccupied with because they are the things I can make the decisions about, the things I can control. In researching childbirth, I've been pretty interested in learning about relaxation techniques for early labor. Music is a subject that comes up frequently in the birth stories I've read as something that the laboring women were able to grasp onto, to make little rituals out of during contractions. I am currently working on getting some music together for labor, and since I don't know how I'm going to feel, I'm working on several playlists. I've got relaxing/soothing, upbeat/inspiring, and familiar/nostalgic. I don't know why this is, because I'm not even a fan of his, but whenever I think of what music I want to hear during labor I always think of the song Bye Bye Blackbird by Joe Cocker. Something in that rasp is speaking (err..singing) to me.

What I mean to say here is, I am taking suggestions for labor tunes. Can you help a (future) mother out?

8 Comments:

Blogger a.l.j. said...

i have never given birth, closest i've come is watching 'a baby story' on tlc. if i were in your shoes, this is what i would want listen to -----

inspiring female vocalists:

joni mitchell
vashti bunyan
nina simone
carole king
lavendar diamond
etc. etc.


easy listenin':

the angels of light
espers
the association
wings


AND
because i'm a bit of a francophile/disco fan:

clothilde
delphine desyeux
serge gainsbourg


p.s. the newish glass candy sounds like roller skating, eating a moonpie, and wearing lots of lip gloss all at the same time- if that makes sense.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

THANK YOU ANDREA!

Coincidentally - I ate a moon pie today.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Krystin said...

I'm going to say Joni Mitchell too. I think I want to give birth to the album For the Roses, in it's entirety.

I get the Joe Cocker thing. I associate music of the 70's with parenthood for some reason...kind of like it's the soundtrack for the childhood I wished I had.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I'm very jet lagged and loopy at the moment, but here are my suggestions:

I would go for some instrumental music. Vocals might be too intense once the labor really starts? I wonder what your baby might want to hear. There is a French guy version of a Jack Johnson type. I forget his name but have his album here somewhere, if you'd like it. He has a soothing voice. Maybe in the beginning you could listen to a little Bob Marley: 'Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright'!!!!!!!!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

My suggestion would be anything Snow Patrol but that is just because they are my favorite band at the moment. Anyway - I love and miss you and Ian and I hope that I will be able to come out to Chicago for a visit after little Max is born.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

i did a labor mix for myself, none of the songs which i remember now other than apron strings by everything but the girl but that sounds cheesy.

if i had to make one today i'd include:
rowing song, patty griffin
1234, feist
stable song, death cab for cutie
littlest things, lily allen
strange, catie curtis
beautiful, bill frisell
fadeout, plus/minus
see the world, gomez
lullaby, jack johnson
imagine, eva cassidy
waters of march, lani hall
mercy street, peter gabriel
the shining, badly drawn boy
somebody loved, weepies
i will survive, cake
both sides now, diana krall
you are my sunshine, elizabeth mitchell
on your side, pete yorn

oh shoot i don't know what you're looking for but those are some dramatic songs for your dramatic moment.....the best to you. you'll do great.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thank you so much everybody! Excellent suggestions, ALL.

Maybe when all is said and done I will post my LaborAid mixes!

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home