Thursday, February 15, 2007

Imagination Cultivation

With each day that passes I get more comfortable with the idea that I'm going to be a parent. I fantasize about the things I'll do with my son, the games we'll play and the songs we'll sing and the laughs we'll share. I like to think about what kind of parent I want to be, and so much of what I envision is imagination cultivation. Kind of like gardening. Planting seeds and seeing what takes root and grows in his imagination.

I think it can be disheartening to a new parent like me that so much of what is readily available for children and babies is pre-imagined. Licensed characters dominate the children's area of most stores and it is nearly impossible to find an article of clothing for a baby boy that doesn't have a hammer, truck or baseball on it. Or a huge grinning purple dinosaur. Imagine my delight when I saw this jacket on Uniform Studio Journal today. It is just the thing. And I found her words profound in a way that transcend the clothes.

Yellow Button Jacket, from Uniform Studio
photo from Uniform Studio Journal, with permission

2 Comments:

Blogger robin said...

hi rawbin.

this is rawbin from www.xanga.com/rawbin

just googled our name & found you.

congratulations on your little one.

love the jacket.

2:39 PM  
Blogger MWM said...

:)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home