Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Once I was dug up


I saw the movie Once last weekend and I cannot get it out of my head. I adore it. I haven't felt this way about a movie maybe since Amelie, which if you know me and my feelings about Amelie then you know the love is pretty strong. The intimacy & honesty in the film really touched me. I also liked the music but mostly I love the girl. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but if you haven't seen it, you definitely should. I felt while I was watching it that a part of me that has been shut down for some time now was coming back to the surface. I feel like I haven't allowed myself the time or mental space to appreciate art of any kind since Max was born or even the last few months of being pregnant. What I thought about a lot while watching the film and since is that spontanaeity is somewhat absent from my day-to-day. Happy accidents don't happen for me anymore. It is rare that I'm not in a hurry and since I seem to be in a hurry a lot of the time there isn't room for that inspirational spark of conversation with a stranger or looking out the window of the train to see something unexpected and beautiful. I really miss that freedom sometimes. Of course, I'm really in a hurry to get home and get my paws on my baby, but I've got to get creative about finding the cracks in my routine and recognizing unexpected beauty when its there.

I heard on the radio that the two stars from Once are going to be on my most-loathed radio program Sound Opinions this week. I've really hated that show since they basically called Feist a cheap Nina Simone knockoff. Those guys are idiots. I hope they approach this with a little more respect. I might have to actually listen to this show.

4 Comments:

Blogger Krystin said...

Great movie! Eric and I just watched it about two weeks ago too...I wonder if we were watching it at the same time?! I love the song she writes, walking the streets and singing along with on her headphones- lovely.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

i really loved Once too. i was really crying at the end, too. promptly bought the music as well.
so good.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I wonder if they have this film at our local Tokyo DVD rental shop.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR!!!!!!! I can't wait til' we see each other again. With any luck we'll all be back in Oregon this time next year.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Where I Lived and What I Lived For said...

Sweet tee shirts, Robin.
Mucho color!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home