Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Like Death Warmed Over

Things in the Harris household took a turn for the worse over the weekend with poor Max coming down with hand/foot/mouth disease. Essentially it is a common childhood virus that entails a mouth full of painful sores, a mad diaper rash, and often blisters on the hands & feet. Poor baby can't really eat or drink and is utterly miserable. It is these moments of helplessness when I really feel what it means to be a parent. To bear witness to the suffering, even if I can't make it go away. To hold him and stroke his hot little head and sing songs to him. There is absolutely nothing worse than seeing your child in pain, and I am amazed to find wells of patience and empathy I never thought I was capable of.

We just need to make it through this week -- we are flying home on Friday and there is so much to be done before then. I am terrified, and tired, but mostly really really excited.

2 Comments:

Blogger Krystin said...

Awe - poor baby! That sounds miserable. I can't wait to see you guys and stroke his little head myself.

8:26 PM  
Blogger bobbi said...

thinking about you today...sorry you are out of here before we got the chance to meet, but hope you have a great trip home...

hope the little man is feeling better!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home