Thursday, December 22, 2005

Choo! Choo!

Train Thoughts:

1. Elderly women are so together. I sat next to this lady this morning and she had this eyeglass case (the clamshell kind) and in it she kept little things that she would need to reach (chapstick, change, tissues, farecard). When I tried to find my chapstick I had to dig way down in my bag and when I thought I had grabbed it and pulled it out it was actually an OB tampon. I need to get one of those eyeglass cases. Also, she had her book in a ziploc bag. That might seem weird but is actually very smart because I damage almost every book I have by shoving things in my bag an bending back the covers/pages, or ripping them off altogether. This woman, she taught me things today. Thank you.

2. Why do they make the seats go 2 different ways? Why not have them all going one way so that at 7 am when you haven't had any coffee you don't have to make eye contact with the other creeps on the train? The way it is now, one side of the train is facing the wrong way. If there is only a seat on the wrong side, there goes your whole day. It feels like you are trying to ride away from work, rather than to it. Psychologically, not so nice.

3. It makes me nervous when people are sleeping. What if they miss their stop? It is like when someone drops a pencil on the floor in a play and doesn't pick it up. I am left to stare at the pencil for the remainder of the scene and I don't even hear the dialogue. I forget the word for that. I almost forget where I am going because I get concerned for the sleepers. Just wake up!

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I also have 20-odd purses that my as-yet-unborn children will go through when I die. What will they find? Dirty sticks of gum, crumpled receipts, CTA cards with no $$ left. I never clean my purses out. I should do that...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Train sleepers - funny. You and Nabokov:

"All my life I have been a poor go-to-sleeper. People in trains, who lay their newspaper aside, fold their silly arms, and immediately, with an offensive familiarity of demeanor, start snoring, amaze me . . . Sleep is the most moronic fraternity in the world, with the heaviest dues and the crudest rituals. It is a mental torture I find debasing . . . I just can't get used to the nightly betrayal of reason, humanity, genius."

9:04 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Sam, that is just lovely. Is that from one of Nabokov's books? I've been thinking I should read something good lately...

9:40 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

Robin,
I keep thinking about this entry, everytime I reach into my purse and CAN'T locate my burts bees. I really love your train observations and would probably have similar ones about people sleeping. I'm going to get me one of those eyeglass cases in honor of this entry!
:O) Thanks, your blog is neat.
Tia

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home